Sunday 16 June 2019

Becoming - Book Review

Like every other girl around the world, I too am a fan of Michelle Obama- She is indeed an icon of our times. I admire her strength, her bawseness, her straightforward demeanor, the warmth she emanates, how approachable she always seems, her forever beautiful dresses and gowns too no doubt no doubt. I couldn't wait to read this book because I wanted to get to know the Obamas. I mean I've admired them from afar since Barack's first Presidential campaign. I still remember the day he won. Mom, dad and I were riveted in front of the TV flipping through news channels all showing the same smiling faces. History had been made and we were alive to see it- the Americans had elected their first black President. I was starry-eyed listening to his Grant Park address playing on loop in all the channels, and even though it had nothing to do with our country or our economy, I was thoroughly inspired by him. I couldn't shut up about it at school the next day, I even remember asking every single relative who lived in or visited the US to bring me back a 'Yes We Can' cap or a tshirt with Barack's picture in it. But this book, this was a chance to get to know them personally, to learn of their silly experiences growing up, funny anecdotes, to hear from Michelle what a pain it was to adult and parent, to hear of inside snippets from the White House and more importantly to get some more warm, fuzzy details of their love story than the movie 'Southside with you' let on.

'Becoming' as you know is Michelle Obama's life story- A story of growth, balance, truth, and lots n lots of hope. Her life's work has been to be inclusive; to let people know in whatever way that if they can, we can. I listened to the audiobook version narrated by the author and loved every bit of it. I love how strongly feminist she is. I love how unapologetic she is about who they are as people or what they've gone through. Her philanthropic work as FLOTUS was inspiring but I have a newfound love for her as a working woman, a homemaker, a wife and a mother. It felt like a unique privilege, to be privy to some parts of their story, to get to know their family intimately and to truly understand what it means to hold one of the most powerful offices in the world. I also have renewed respect for Barack, for his love for his kids, in fact all kids in general, his love and respect for Michelle, his blessed intentions, his flair for greatness, his clarity of thought, the audacity of his hope, and the kindness of his heart. At one point in the book, she describes Barack as 'a deadly combination of smooth and reasonable' and I think that's quite simply put the best way to describe how compelling and charming he is. Michelle also has a great sense of humour. Her language is simple, unpretentious and sets a standard (right next to Mitch Albom's) I one day aspire to reach.

A generation defining story, definitely worth a read. ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment