Saturday 25 April 2020

Lights and Planes

I have been a seafarer for 9 years now which means there have been many many happy homecomings and too many sad, tearful goodbyes. So much so that I now have a goodbye routine- A well practised drill, a 'before leaving home' checklist I follow everytime I have to leave home and join a ship so that I don't let my emotions overwhelm me into missing out on the important things. My list is thorough and goes from small things like 'buy pens' to big and most necessary items like 'buy seedai, peanuts and instant pepper rasam'. My list also reminds me of all the people I want to meet and say goodbye to, personally. Most of my friends and relatives only get phone calls or text messages as I barely have time before joining. Being an A1 procrastinator I pretend that I'm not going anywhere so I won't have to spend my last few days at home weighed down with the sorrow of leaving. I inevitably scramble in the end to buy all the things I need and assemble my suitcase. In the little time I do find in this self-created mayhem, I like to stay at home as much as possible. I eat my favourite things and lounge around talking to everyone, absorbing 'home' as it is. I also lie down on my bed a lot because that's one of the things I miss the most onboard - my bed (also my sleep). Those last few days being quite precious, I meet very very few people and one top person on my list is Athai- it was actually Avva AND Athai for the longest time. I usually drive down the 2 streets from my house to talk to them and tell them when I would be leaving and how soon I'll be back and what kind of ship I was going on. Avva would always tell me- come soon and get married so that I can see the celebrations while I'm still here. She'd then tell me how smart and capable I was and how my grandfather would've been so proud if he could see me now. She'd ask me if I had money and press a few notes into my hand even when I promise her I have enough. She'd then bless me and apply some vibhuti on my forehead after saying a short prayer. After that, it would be Athai's turn. She'd also bless me and remind me to stay safe and work safely. It was always the same with them. There was a certain dependability to that routine, a certain constancy. It was the same every year and it gave me so much peace and comfort. I always left feeling grateful. We grieviously lost Avva a couple of years ago (may God bless her good soul) so it is only Athai now. 

 When I reached her house in December it was already past her bedtime but Athai was sitting there waiting patiently for me because she knew I had an early flight the next day and that was the best time I could do. I went in and we chatted for a bit, both of us quietly remembering how that moment was missing an important person, feeling the large gaping hole of her memory. We prayed to her, Athai then wished me a safe flight and a safe contract onboard. When I was about to leave, she asked me what time my flight was and I said we'd be departing at 6am. She immediately recalled how she can see planes flying in and out at really low heights from her terrace. She told me if I could spare a minute she wanted to show me where the flights came from. I have lived in West Mambalam longer than she has and I know where the planes came from, I remember watching them as a kid from our terrace and feeling so mesmerized. I was also really tired that night and I still had a long list of things to go through before I hit the sack but I went anyway because she seemed so excited. When we reached the terrace, she showed me the direction of the airport. She said if we waited a few minutes, we were sure to catch one leaving or entering. She then showed me Pothys, the Rangarajapuram flyover, the railway station and the church. Athai grew up in Madurai and I think for a few years even in Triplicane. But she lived most of her life in Dindigul and Madurai. Earlier whenever she'd come to visit us during the summers or any other holidays, she'd always be itching to go to TNagar. It's not as though she was a big shopper, she just loved the hustle bustle of the shopping area. She'd quietly sneak out when everyone took their afternoon naps and walk her way to TNagar from my house. She'd stroll around the place, take in all the colorful sights and sounds, get her heart full and come back home, only to get an ear full from Avva who would never understand why Athai wanted to go to TNagar so much, every year, even though she hardly ever bought anything. But none of that ever stopped Athai, TNagar was the New York of her world and she loved it. Only a few years ago, both Avva and Athai permanently moved to Chennai because it was easier for dad this way to take care of them and they naturally found a house closer to ours (thus closer to TNagar too). 

 Athai was so joyful that night because we could see most of the brightly lit TNagar shops from her terrace. She showed me some of her favorite buildings which had fancy LEDs making beautiful patterns in the night sky. She said she comes here ever so often just to sit around, get some air and admire the lights. I was so moved hearing this because I couldn't remember the last time I did something so simple as stand on my terrace and watch aeroplanes or lights. For a second, I forgot where I was or where I had to be and only stood there taking it all in. That night I rode back home missing Avva who would've definitely scolded us both 'ladies' for going to the terrace 'so late at night' but also felt extremely grateful that Athai took me up there and shared her happy TNagar lights with me. 

Gaythri Madhavann
18 April 2020

3 comments: