Tuesday 27 November 2018

The Diary of a Young Girl - Book Review

"People who are religious should be glad, since not everyone is blessed with the ability to believe in a higher order. You don't even have to live in fear of eternal punishment; the concepts of purgatory, heaven and hell are difficult for many people to accept, yet religion itself, any religion, keeps a person on the right path. Not the fear of God, but upholding your own sense of honor and obeying your own conscience. How noble and good everyone could be if, at the end of each day, they were to review their own behavior and weigh up the rights and wrongs. They would automatically try to do better at the start of each new day and, after a while, would certainly accomplish a great deal. Everyone is welcome to this prescription; it costs nothing and is definitely useful. Those who don't know will have to find out by experience that a quiet conscience gives you strength!" - Anne Frank

To think she was only 15 years old when she wrote these lines. 🙌

I got to this one quite late in life (it is classified under YA Lit), but I'm very very glad I read it. 'The Diary of Anne Frank' should be on everyone's reading list because it educates you and opens up your mind in unbelievable ways. I had a certain expectation for this book and was surprised to see it was a mere journal with entries of a 15yo kid's day to day life, but then she has a strong character this girl. I found myself admiring Anne at various points through the book. I started feeling so close to the members of the Annexe and kept wanting the best for them. Even though I knew very well how it all ended even before I started reading the book, it still broke my heart when I finished it. When a book has such an impression on you, when it changes you a little and touches your soul, you know for sure its a great book.

It made me go back and read about the World Wars (I only bothered a little bit about them back in school), the Holocaust, about the Führer, the invasions, the camps. I wish everyone let themselves understand the impact of war and destruction on human lives, I swear there wouldn't be so much hatred in this world. 💔❤📑

No comments:

Post a Comment