Tuesday 27 November 2018

To Kill a Mockingbird - Book review

I once read about a newspaper columnist who reviewed music concerts. He was very popular and his one good review was all the accolade you needed. Someone asked him how he graded the artists and he simply said he went to the show with an open mind, sat down with his eyes closed and listened to the music. If the singer kept him focussed on the concert and if his mind didn't wander, he knew their music was good and if they had the power to move him to tears (like they sometimes did) he knew they had the gift of great music.

I have similar tactics to know good books - if I can't get the book out of my mind through the day while working, eating or trying to sleep and I itch to come back to it, I know it is a good book. If I feel the urge to post about it online urging everyone who will listen, to read it then I know it's a great book.

To Kill a Mockingbird - This classic harbors a great reputation, and it doesn't need my appreciation to convince you. If Harper Lee's humour and timeless writing don't get a lasso around your heart, Scout Finch (the lead)'s southern accent and firecracker personality will. What a beautiful, simple book? I'm so glad I was lucky enough to find its 50th anniversary edition on sale (Thanks Amazon.in).

No comments:

Post a Comment